Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Other Side of Summer

As pointed out by Ian.k in the comments of the previous post, there are many connotations of "summer" not just the often thought of summer = goodness and sunshine notion.

Ian.k writes "When I think of summer, I think of long hot summer days where you sit around bored to death. Now when I think of beaches and swimming and picnics and fun, I think of summer vacation."

Summer in this case is an ambiguous word choice on the part of the writer. It could be a good thing in a bad context (creeping) or it could be depression in a bad context. The writer could have avoided any of this confusion by chosing a word other than "summer" to demonstrate his meaning.

I feel death creepin in.
I feel boredom creepin in.
I feel depression creepin in.
I feel night creepin in.


But the writer chose "summer" over any other alternative. And I think this choice demonstrates a possibility of things going one of several ways. That, unlike death, summer could be a good or bad thing. Summer, itself, could go either way -- that there was a possibility of summer bringing joy but this summer, for this narrator, will go a very different way.

No comments: